Something happened 63 years ago that's haunted me my entire life. I’ve never told anyone about it—until now.

It's official: I'm an old man.

For the last couple years, I've comforted myself by saying I'm in my "early 70s," but math is simple and unforgiving. Today is my 75th birthday, and God, the years do fly.

I'm not here for your well-wishes; this is hardly a milestone I'm excited about. I'm glad to still be here, of course, but I find I have less and less to live for with every passing year. My bones ache, my kids live far away, and the other side of my bed has been empty for just over eight months now. In fact, once I cast my vote against that Trump this November, I may have nothing to live for at all.

So spare me your "happy birthdays" and your congratulations, if you please. I'm here because I have a story for you, and it's one I've never told before. I used to think I kept it inside because it was silly, or maybe because nobody would believe it. I've found, though, that the older you grow, the more exhausting it becomes to lie to yourself. If I'm being perfectly honest, I've never told anybody this story because it scares me, almost to death.

But death seems friendlier than it used to, so listen close.

The year was 1950; the setting a small town in Maine. I was a boy of nine, rather small for my age, with only one friend in the world to speak of - and his family, seemingly on a whim, decided to move 2,000 miles away. It was shaping up to be the worst summer of my life.

My pop wasn't around and my mom was always trying to give me chores, so I wasn't apt to hang around the house. With some hesitation, I decided the public library was the place to be that summer. The library's collection of books, particularly children's books, was small to say the least. But within the walls of that miserly structure, I would find no undone chores, no nagging mother, (God rest her soul), and perhaps most importantly, no other children with whom I would be expected to associate. I was the only kid with a low enough social status to spend his precious days of freedom sulking amid the bookshelves, and that was just fine with me.

The first half of my summer was even more dreadful than I had imagined it would be. I would sleep in until 10, do my chores, and then ride my bike to the library (and by bike, I mean a rusty log of crap attached to a pair of wheels). Once there, I would split my time between unintentionally annoying the elderly patrons and deliberately doing so. One pleasant lady actually interrupted my incessant tongue-clicking to hiss a "shut up!" at me.

The dreary days turned to woeful weeks. I had actually begun praying for school to start again - until I discovered the basement. I could have sworn I'd roamed every inch of that library, but one day, in the far corner behind the foreign language collection I stumbled across a small wooden door I had never seen before. That was where it all began.

The door was windowless and made from oak that looked far older than the wall in which it rested. It had a knob of black metal that quite literally looked ancient - I wouldn't have been surprised to learn it was crafted in the 17th century. Engraved on the knob was what appeared to be a single footprint. I had the sense that whatever lay beyond this door was forbidden to me, and therefore probably the most interesting thing I would encounter all summer. I quickly glanced around to make sure nobody was watching me, then turned the heavy knob, slipped behind the door, and shut it.

There was nothing; only darkness. I took a couple of steps and then stopped, unnerved by the totality of the shadow which surrounded me. I waved my hands in front of me in an attempt to find a wall or a shelf or anything to hold on to. What I actually found was far more subtle - a small string, dangling from above - but far more useful. I grabbed it firmly and pulled it down.

Back in the day, lots of light bulbs were operated with strings, and this was one of them. My surroundings were instantly illuminated. I was standing on a small, dusty platform that looked as though it hadn't seen life in quite some time. To my left was a rickety spiral staircase, made of wood and appearing ready to collapse at any second. The bulb was the only source of light in the room, and it was feeble, so when I peered over the railing to see what lay below, the bottom of the staircase dissolved into the darkness.

I was beginning to feel scared. This place - wherever I was - seemed to have no business in a town library. It was as though I were in a completely different building. But no nine-year-old likes to let a mystery go unsolved. Looking back, I wish I could tell my prepubescent self to turn around, go back, do anything else besides descending that staircase. "You'll be spared a lot of sleepless nights," I'd say. But, of course, I didn't know that then - and I may not have listened even if I had. So instead of turning back, I took a deep breath, gripped the railing, and glared resolutely forward as I began my descent.

The wood on the railing was dry and covered with splinters. I immediately let go, holding my hands out for balance as I carefully traversed the staircase. It was (or at least seemed) very long, and with only the dim glow from the string-bulb far above me, my heart pounded mercilessly in the darkness. Even kids can sense when something isn't right, I think - they just don't always give a crap.

By the time my feet reached the cement floor at the bottom, the light from the bulb above was very nearly a memory. But there was a new light source, and God, I'll never forget it. Directly in front of me was a door, massive, and a deep shade of red. The light was coming from behind the door, and it shone out in thin lines from all four sides - a sinister, dimly glowing rectangle. For the second time, I took a deep breath and went through a door I shouldn't have.

In contrast to the dank room I entered from, the room behind the door was blinding. When my eyes adjusted, what I saw nearly took my breath away.

It was a library. The most perfect library imaginable.

I gaped in wonder as I stepped, almost reverently, further into the room. It was beautiful. It was smaller than the library above, much smaller, but it seemed to be almost tailor-made for me. The shelves were packed with brightly colored titles, both armchairs in the middle of the room were exquisitely comfortable, and the smell - my Goodness, the smell - was simply unbelievable. Sort of a mixture of citrus and pine. I simply can't do it justice with words, so I'll suffice it to say that I've never smelled anything better. Not in my 75 years.

What was this room? Why had I never heard of it before? Why was nobody else here? Those were the questions I should have been asking. But I was intoxicated. As I gazed around at all the books and basked in the smell of paradise, I could only form one thought: I will never be bored again.

In truth, boredom only hid from me for three years. It was on my 12th birthday, 63 years ago to this day, that everything changed.

Before that day, I visited my basement sanctuary as often as I could - usually several times a week. I never saw another soul down there, yet strangely remained free of suspicion. I never removed a book from that room, but instead would pick up a particular volume wherever I had stopped reading during my previous visit. I sat, always in the same deep purple armchair, and always leaving its twin barren and directly across from myself. That armchair was mine, the other was - well, I suppose I couldn't have articulated it then much better than I can now. But it wasn't mine, that's for damn sure.

On my twelfth birthday, I arrived later than usual. My mom had invited a couple classmates and some cousins over to our house to celebrate, a gesture which I found more tedious than touching - really, I just wanted to spend my birthday sitting and reading and smelling paradise. Eventually, our guests went home, and I made it to the library about fifteen minutes before closing time. That didn't matter; the workers never checked down there before they locked up. I was free to stay as late as I wished. This particular night, I was devouring the final chapters of an epic adventure; knights, swords, dragons, and the like. I didn't smell it until I read the final words and closed the book.

The once exquisite aroma of that room had turned sour. I sat for a moment, unsettled. Objectively, I could recognize that the smell was actually the same as it had been before - that mixture of citrus and pine. I just perceived it differently, and I didn't like it anymore. It was the nasal version of an optical illusion; you know, the one that looks like a young woman glancing backward, but all of a sudden you see that it's really an old woman facing toward you? You can't unsee that, and I couldn't un-smell this. The spell was broken.

The odor also seemed, for the first time, to be coming from somewhere specific. With a fair amount of trepidation, I stalked around the room, sniffing the air like a crazed canine until I came to a shelf near the back. The shelf was perfectly normal, with the exception of one title - a large, leatherbound cover of solid faded maroon, with one striking black footprint at the top of the spine. This was the source of the smell. I opened the front cover, and saw one sentence scrawled neatly in blood-red ink atop the first page:

Rest your sorrows down, friend, and leave them where they lie.

I stared at this sentence, mesmerized, as I began to retreat to my chair. I turned a page. Blank. The smell became stronger. Another page, blank, and the smell grew stronger still. I stopped for a moment, suppressed a gag, and continued walking. Then, as I neared the armchairs, I turned one final page - and there, in the same sinister print, was the last thing I expected to see: my own name. I dropped the book. I began to sprint toward the door, but as I shifted my gaze forward, my heart lept to my throat and I stopped in my tracks.

The empty chair wasn't empty anymore.

An aged man in a suit sat before me, one leg crossed over the other, contemplating me with piercing gray eyes and a slight smirk. This was all too much. I fell to my knees and expelled the contents of my stomach onto the carpet. I wiped my mouth, staring at my vomit when I heard the man let out a chuckle.

I stared at him disbelievingly. "Who are you?" I asked, panic in my voice.

The man lept to his feet, grabbed me gently by the shoulders, and helped me to my chair. He sat, once again, on his own. "I fear we got off to a bad start," he said, glancing at the pile of sick on the carpet. "The smell . . . it does take some getting used to."

"Who are you?" I repeated.

"Tonight, you will know hardship like you've never before known," he said. "I come as a friend, offering you refuge from it, and from all other storms which lie ahead."

I wanted nothing more than to leave at that moment, but I remained seated. I asked him what he was talking about.

"Your mother is dead, my boy. By her own hand, in her kitchen. The scene is gruesome, I must admit," he said in sorrowful tones, but was there a playful glint in his eye? "Surely you wish to avoid this path. I can show you a safer one."

My blood ran cold at the horrors this man spoke of, but I did not believe him. "What do you want with me?" I demanded, trying to sound braver than I felt. He laughed, an old, raspy yelp that seemed to shake him to his bones.

"Nothing but your friendship, dear boy," he said. Then, sensing I found his answer inadequate, he expounded. "I want you to come on a journey with me. My work is noble and you will make a fine apprentice. And maybe, when I'm done," he sighed tiredly, running his bony fingers through his thin white hair, "maybe then, my work can be yours."

I stood up, shuffling toward the door but never breaking his gaze. "You're nuts," I told him. "My mom isn't dead. She's not."

"See for yourself, if you must," he said, gesturing toward the door. I threw him a contemptuous glare and bolted for the exit. As my hand closed around the knob, he said my name softly. In spite of myself, I turned around.

"Your road won't be easy, friend. If it ever becomes too much for you, and I mean ever," he said, pausing to sweep his hand over the room, "you know where to find me."

I slammed the door behind me and took the decrepit stairs two at a time. I exited the library, clambered onto my bike, and high-tailed it home. The front door was wide open. I dismounted, leaving my bike in a heap on the ground, and approached the house cautiously. The old man was lying - he must have been. Still, tears began to sting my eyes. Heart pounding, I stepped inside and called for my mother. I heard no answer, so I turned into the kitchen.

To this day, I don't know why she did it.

I've lived in that small town in Maine my entire life, although I've kept mostly clear of the public library. Once, in my late 20s, I summoned the courage to step inside. Life was good at that time, and my fear had begun to morph into idle curiosity. Where the door to my basement sanctuary once stood was only a blank wall. I asked the librarian what had become of that basement, though in my heart I knew the answer. There was no basement, she said. There had never been a basement. In fact, if she had her facts correctly, city zoning ordinances prohibited a basement in the area.

I've been haunted by that sickly-sweet smell, that poisonous blend of citrus and pine, ever since that long ago birthday. When I saw my mother in the kitchen that day, forever gone, I smelled it. When a man claiming to be my father knocked on my college apartment door, begged me for money and beat me to within an inch of my life when I refused, I smelled it. When my wife miscarried our second child, I smelled it, and again when she miscarried our fourth. When our oldest son got behind the wheel of the family Buick completely drunk and got his girlfriend killed, I smelled it.

I began to smell it periodically as my wife became sick. She died late last year, and now, I'm alone for the first time in more than half a century. Now, I smell it every day, and it feels like an invitation.

A few months ago, I went back to the library and the small oak door with the ancient handle was there - right where it used to be. My evening walk has brought me past that library every day since, but I haven't gone inside. Maybe tonight I will. I'm frightened to die, yes, but lately, I'm even more frightened to keep living. The old man was right -my road hasn't been easy, and I doubt it will get any easier.

Rest your sorrows down, friend, and leave them where they lie.

He promised relief. A refuge, he said. Was he right about that too? There's only one way to find out. After all, I still know where to find him.

Something happened 63 years ago that's haunted me my entire life. I’ve never told anyone about it—until now.
A Package Marked “Return To Sender”

My neighbor is one of those annoying wannabe YouTube personalities. Over the years, I've seen him cough out cinnamon, lay flat on the hood of his car as it slowly creeps down the driveway, and douse himself in lukewarm water, all the while screaming "epic win" _or "epic fail_." It can get tiring to watch him go about his shenanigans in the pursuit of viral fame. So, when he knocked on my door the other day, told me he was going away for a few weeks, and asked that I get his mail, honestly, it was a relief. I can't explain the peace of mind I had knowing I didn't have to brace myself for any of his stupidity for a while. I was always afraid his stunts would wind up bleeding over into my life.

Things were pretty normal for the first couple of days. He received a few bills, a bit of spam, and what I could only assume was a birthday card. Then, one evening, I got home to find a cardboard box waiting on his front porch. In big red letters was written, "Return to Sender".

I'm no small fry, but I admit I had trouble lifting the box on my own. It was really freaking heavy. Lugging it across the road to my house was even harder, and I quickly realized there was no way I was going to drag it up the stairs and through my front door. I decided I'd leave his package in my garage. It wasn't like I kept my car in there: the garage door was a piece of crap that refused to open without a good thug and a whack. It was less trouble just leaving the car in the driveway than it was to fight with the garage door every morning and night. In hindsight, I should have set the package down while I struggled to open the tricky door, but you know how it is when you've got a good grip on something - there's no point in setting it down if you don't have to.

It was as I kicked the door for a third time that I lost my grip on the package, and it fell to the ground. I heard a light crack inside.

I cursed.

I hoped I hadn't broken anything important, but figured I just wouldn't tell my neighbor about it and let him assume the break happened en-route.

Hands-free, I finally managed to get the garage door unstuck, and boy did it screech in protest as it rolled up and over me. I dragged the box the rest of the way, setting it in the corner for whenever my neighbor would come back to claim it. And then, I forgot all about it. Until a few days passed, that is.

I'm not sure exactly how long it took for the smell to waft in from the crack under the garage-to-house door, but it came in in slow progression. It was a sickly sweet odor similar to a skunk, and for the first few days after I smelled it, I genuinely assumed that's exactly what it was: roadkill that had left its mark on my house. It was only when I realized the scent was growing more intense instead of fading that I went looking for a source. That's when I opened the garage door, and that's when the odor knocked me back, holding my nose.

The culprit wasn't hard to identify. The only change in my garage was the box in the corner. I remember thinking it must have been one of those meat-of-the-month subscription boxes. The meat must have gone rancid from being left out of the fridge for so long. How much meat could have been in there for the box to have been so large and heavy? An entire freaking cow?

I covered my nose as I approached the box, a pair of scissors in my hands. I probably wouldn't have needed them to open it, as it had become soggy enough at the bottom to poke through with a finger, but I wasn't about to poke my finger into spoiled meat juices. That soggy bottom was the reason I had to open the box in the first place. If I tried to drag it out whole, everything would spill onto the floor. I was going to have to dump the pieces of meat one garbage bag at a time, and take them down to the dumpster, a process I wasn't looking forward to.

My scissors tore through the tape along the top of the cardboard box. I thought the smell couldn't get any worse, but as I flipped the flaps open, I discovered a whole new gamut of stink. It was like opening a burning oven, but instead of a heat wave, I was met with waves of piss, sweat, crap, and putrefaction. It was so bad that I staggered back and had to force down the puke begging to guzzle out of me. I don't think I could have handled that scent mingling with the horrors coming out of the box. I'm not ashamed to admit I ran out the door for a breath of fresh air, but in the short time I'd spent in the garage, the smell had become so ingrained in the fabric of my clothes that it clung to me like a shadow.

Nothing I tried could keep the smell out of my nostrils. Not air fresheners, not a face mask, not three showers and a change of clothes. Every second that box lay open in my garage was another second the smell was allowed a foothold in my home. I had to bite the bullet.

I returned to the garage, the flaps of the box still open as though inviting me to look. I was prepared, a clothespin pinning my nostrils shut, a garbage bag in one hand, the strongest cleaner I could find in the other, and long rubber gloves to keep my skin from having to touch what was inside. But, as it turns out, I needed none of those things.

I wouldn't have to touch or clean the contents of that box, I would only have to suffer the nightmares every night. You see, there was meat in that box, but it didn't come from a cow or a pig. No, it was worse than that. It was my neighbor. Dead. Still in one piece, but dead.

I called the cops, and naturally, they took me in for interrogation. It's kind of hard not to suspect the man with a corpse in his garage, after all. Thankfully, they soon realized I wasn't involved. My DNA might have been all over that box, the smell might have left a mark throughout my house, but there was one piece of irrefutable evidence in my neighbor's own hands that proved my innocence: a vlogging camera.

They showed me the footage only once. I'm not sure if they were allowed to, or if they felt so bad for me they figured it couldn't hurt. Either way, I saw it.

My neighbor was sitting in the box outside of a shipping facility, laughing as he told the world how he was going to mail himself across state lines. He'd brought pee bottles, food, a pillow, and a few flashlights. His friend -- a guy I'd seen at his place several times to help with his stunts -- closed the lid and presumably dropped him off for shipment. Throughout the next couple of hours...or days, I'm honestly not sure, my neighbor recorded a few short clips of his progress. 'I think I'm in a truck now, I can feel it moving', 'Must be in a warehouse. Pretty warm here. Still got plenty of food!', that kind of stuff. And then, on the last entry, the box toppled over. And that was it. The camera recorded until either the memory card got too full, or the battery died.

There's one thing I didn't tell the police after they showed me the video. One thing I heard in the footage that will haunt me to the day I die. Just after the tumble that broke his neck, I heard the familiar screeching sound of my garage door.

A Package Marked “Return To Sender”
The terrifying note addressed to my six-year-old son

My wife and I are beside ourselves right now. This is the type of thing you see in the movies, but now it's happening to us.

Yesterday evening, a little after six, my wife and I were in the kitchen cooking dinner when my six-year-old (almost 7) son Kyle walked in from the back patio. He was holding a folded piece of paper in his hand and had a strange look on his face. My son is constantly drawing (and loves to read and write) so this usually wouldn't have stood out to me at all, but he'd just come in from hitting the baseball off the tee and really had no reason to be holding a piece of paper.

My son is the type of kid who wears his emotions on his sleeve. When I asked to see the piece of paper, I could tell he didn't really want to give it to me because he flashed his typical I'm gonna be in trouble if I do face. I insisted, and he finally handed it over. Here's what it said:

Dear Kyle,

I know this note may sound scary,

(your daddy will think it is),

but grownups don't know

how friendships can grow

when kids are just left to be kids.

And what a kid you've become, Kyle!

You're growing as fast as a weed.

Last night off the tee

you stroked it for three

and your team took a two-run lead!

Yes, I've been watching (a while now, its true).

I think we would make perfect friends.

You're a kid through and through,

And I am one too,

even if just for pretends.

The problem, I fear, is your parents.

(I doubt they would let us hang out).

One is just rude,

the other a prude,

church-going, pure, holy, devout.

I've got an idea

(can you tell my hand's shaking?)

for me and you getting together!

Tomorrow at three,

you can come and see me

at the address attached to this letter.

But please (pretty please!)

don't tell your dad!

Your mom and he won't understand.

Just come by yourself,

I'll be dressed as an elf!

And we can even hold hands!

Would you like that?

(You will! You really will Kyle!)

We will have (my oh my) so much fun!

So I'll see you at three,

by the sycamore tree,

where our two kindred souls become one!

There was an address scribbled at the bottom of the page.

3 Orange Circle.

I knew immediately it wasn't a prank.

Carrie, my wife, is the youth group leader at our church. And Kyle did just have a tee ball game last night. Orange Circle is only one street over from our street, and I'm pretty sure lot 3 is the corner lot on the culdesac, which has an empty house with a large sycamore tree in the backyard.

Was this sicko really watching Kyle's game? What would have happened I hadn't seen him with the letter?

I shouted for my wife to come read it. When she did, she flipped out and ran to the phone to call the police.

I flipped the note over, and on the back was some more text. I couldn't read it at first, but quickly realized it was written backward, I'm guessing so Kyle couldn't have read it. To read it, I had to hold it up in front of a mirror:

And now (just in case)

if your Dad's reading this,

it's time to tell him a story.

If your mom flaps her hole

Or your dad tells a soul,

I'm afraid things might get rather gory.

On the 10th of July,


A woman named Susie went missing,

Susie, you see,

(unlike you and me)

wasn't careful about who she'd been kissing.

I kept her a while (but old things get so boring!)

and in time I had gotten my fill.

I threw her away

and to my great dismay

the hunger I felt plagued me still.

I tried to bury it deep down inside

(where nothing down there can escape).

But lately it seems

I see Kyle in my dreams

And that hunger can no longer hide.

Now that you know what I'm capable of

(more than both of you can comprehend),

if one word is spoken,

then children get broken,

and Susie will have a new friend.

The police arrived in a half hour and we showed them the note. They told us to stay inside and lock the doors for the remainder of the night. The man had obviously been in our (fenced-in) backyard, which made me sick to my stomach and had me cursing myself for not installing the security camera I'd gotten for Christmas.

Nothing happened last night, thank God.

This morning, I got a call from the detective assigned to our case. He'd reviewed the list of missing persons cases from 1995 and something had turned up.

Suzanne Kerrington went missing July 10th, 1995, just as the note said. The last person to see her alive was a friend who saw her at the 24-hour gym they attended together. Susie had said she'd met someone new and wanted to get a quick workout in before getting ready for their second date. Susie was never seen again and the man was never identified.

And, maybe the worst part, was Suzanne's address.

3 Orange Circle.

The terrifying note addressed to my six-year-old son
  • Next Page


More From Clipd

This Is What A Million Dollar Property In Sydney Will Get You This Is What A Million Dollar Property In Sydney Will Get You
The Top 5 Creepiest "NoSleep" Reddit Stories You'll Ever Read The Top 5 Creepiest "NoSleep" Reddit Stories You'll Ever Read
Guy Tries To Become One With Nature And Loses Dream Job Because Of It Guy Tries To Become One With Nature And Loses Dream Job Because Of It
Roommate Converts Her Friend's Room Into A Fake Museum Exhibit Roommate Converts Her Friend's Room Into A Fake Museum Exhibit
The 20 Funniest Church Signs The 20 Funniest Church Signs
This YouTuber Just Explained Exactly Why Mr. Bean Is A Comedy Genius This YouTuber Just Explained Exactly Why Mr. Bean Is A Comedy Genius
Lawyers Share The Dumbest "I Want To Sue" Case They've Ever Been Approached With Lawyers Share The Dumbest "I Want To Sue" Case They've Ever Been Approached With
The New 'Venom' Trailer Just Dropped And Twitter Is Not Happy The New 'Venom' Trailer Just Dropped And Twitter Is Not Happy
People Share The Worst Thing They've Witnessed At Their School People Share The Worst Thing They've Witnessed At Their School

Popular Articles

Kids Who Were Kicked Out Of Their Parent's House Share Their Stories Kids Who Were Kicked Out Of Their Parent's House Share Their Stories
The Internet Is Making Hilarious Memes Out Of Snapchat's New Maps Feature The Internet Is Making Hilarious Memes Out Of Snapchat's New Maps Feature